This post contains affiliate links.
In my home whether I’m getting ready for birthday parties or I’m just baking for the fun of it, there is only one “go-to” that I use EVERY time. That “go-to” is my “Awesome Buttercream Icing”. (Yes, it really says that on my recipe card! Lol)
Although my recipe card calls this recipe an “icing”, let’s be realistic. It’s frosting. BUT it’s the best frosting I’ve ever had, and today I’d like to share it with you.
– Supplies –
- Large Mixing bowl
- Electric Mixer (This can be done by hand with a spoon, but gosh it’s CRAZY hard!)
– Ingredients –
- 2 Sticks of butter (1 Cup)
- 1 Cup of Palm Oil Shortening
- 1 Tbs Vanilla
- (1) 2 LB Bag of Powdered Sugar (Confectioner’s Sugar)
- 8 Tbs of Milk
– Instructions –
- Beat room temperature butter in a large bowl with your electric mixer on medium until soft and creamy.
*Pro Tip: If you forget to set out your butter like I ALWAYS do, chop each stick up in to little squares. This makes it MUCH easier to use your electric mixer with. It also makes it possible for the butter to reach the consistency needed.
2. Add shortening into your large bowl, and beat mixture again until combined.
3. Add Vanilla to your mixture and mix well.
4. Add in the powdered sugar to your mixture. Make sure to only mix in 1 cup at a time. (It will end up all over your walls if you don’t!)
5. Add milk to your mixture. To be safe, add in 1 tablespoon at a time to reach your desired consistency.
*Pro Tip: I prefer to use all 8 Tbs of milk, but there are times you may want to use less. If you are creating a base layer on a cake, you may want it a little bit thicker. You may even want your buttercream to be even thicker than that if you are creating standalone detail decorations that need to be structurally sound.
Tag @raymgirl on Instagram and Facebook!